In the present era, the significance of choosing and utilizing the proper cosmetic products cannot be emphasized enough, at least to ensure uttermost skin care. However, this significance is considerably elevated in the case of Psoriasis skin care. Among all the topical Psoriasis treatments, pinpointing and using the right moisturizer can make the distinction of having Psoriasis flare ups or healthy, flawless skin. You want to utilize a Psoriasis moisturizer that will ease on the unpleasant symptoms, and not aggravate them.
The American Academy of Dermatology has been quick to assert that although routine use of moisturizers can ease the itching, irritation and scaliness of your Psoriasis, not all moisturizers are Psoriasis friendly. Many at times oft, it can be daunting to pinpoint and use the proper Psoriasis moisturizer, but the tips below will life this burden off your shoulders, enabling you to purchase the right Psoriasis moisturizer.
Start with Key Ingredients
Well, when choosing a moisturizer, it’s ideal for any Psoriasis patient to have more than one moisturizer: A heavy Psoriasis moisturizer at night and a lighter cream with sun protection properties during the day. Nevertheless, you ought to look out for Psoriasis moisturizers with the following ingredients and labels.
- Exfoliating acids- Glycolic acid, an alphahydroxy acid, and salicylic acids are ideal exfoliating acids that assist in thinning down Psoriasis plaques. These acids leave a desirable exfoliating effect to the skin, alleviating Psoriasis. Typically, exfoliating acids are meant to provide a light skin peeling effect, which is remarkable for alleviating Psoriasis, making your affected skin look and even feel better. Other names for exfoliating acids are Lac-Hydrin, AmLactin and Eucerin.
- Sun protective properties- Overexposure to sunlight can bring a myriad of problems for your Psoriasis due to skin dryness. Consequently, choose a proper moisturizer whose Sun Protection Factor (SPF) is no less than 30. UVB rays can be exceedingly Psoriasis alleviating, but you ought to prevent Psoriasis flare ups due to excess UVA rays, moreso when you are undertaking phototherapy. Your Psoriasis medication may also be sunlight triggered, so a proper moisturizer with effective sunscreen effects will save you a Psoriasis outbreak.
- Noncomedogenic formula- This label means that the moisturizer doesn’t cause comedones, preferably, blackheads, and doesn’t clog any skin pores.
- The thicker, the better- As much as light Psoriasis moisturizers might help a great deal, heavy moisturizing creams are better.
Your dermatologist can effortlessly advise you on which over the counter moisturizers have these Psoriasis friendly ingredients, and if they result in no alleviating effect, then moisturizers with more alphahydroxy might just do the trick.
Cut That Out: Ingredients to Avoid
Psoriasis affected skin is susceptible and highly vulnerable to severe irritation by some moisturizer ingredients, which include:
- Alcohol- Alcohol based topical products including moisturizers can be extremely drying and irritating to Psoriasis affected skin, and let no convincing consumer tell you otherwise.
- Fragrance- Fragrance is a notorious Psoriasis trigger as it irritates your skin, resulting in Psoriasis flare ups. Scents might be tempting and attractive but avoid them, and be sure to confirm that moisturizers labeled “unscented” are actually fragrance free.
- Beware of external irritants- As much as you have the proper Psoriasis moisturizer at hand, you ought to be utterly careful of any external irritants such as fabric softeners and very dry sheets to minimize skin irritation. Wearing gloves when undertaking any chores is an ideal step towards minimizing skin irritation.
There is an ‘App’ for that
Utilizing the proper Psoriasis moisturizer can do wonders for your Psoriasis, but then again, how and when you use this moisturizer can change everything. For proper Psoriasis moisturizer application, here are some rules and essentials:
- Use your Psoriasis moisturizer on a daily basis, as frequently as you need to, and even when your Psoriasis is in remission or during flare days, always moisturize.
- Moisturizers work best on Psoriasis affected areas when the skin is still considerably wet. As a result, you ought to apply your Psoriasis moisturizer immediately after a shower.
- It’s vital to apply your Psoriasis moisturizer as frequently as you can, at least in the mornings and evenings.
Certainly, the proper Psoriasis moisturizer will never cure your pesky skin condition, but the alleviating and clearing effects will be stunning!